Founded in 1947, we are one of the oldest established caving clubs in the country. We have active members aged from 18 to 65+, and new members are always welcome.
Membership is open to anyone 18 or over who has an interest in caving as a sport including cave diving or the scientific aspects of cave biology, geology etc. The Society have recently seen an increase in the number of members, especially young people who are keen to explore the fascinating world that lies under our feet. Members meet weekly on a Wednesday evening at a variety of different venues throughout a month and are always pleased to welcome potential members (in all instances please contact us via email@example.com for more details)
Our regular monthly meets:
- 1st Wednesday - East Devon caving followed by social meet at the The Tally Ho! in Exeter
- 2nd Wednesday - Club Hut Meet or Buckfastleigh area caving, followed by social meet at The Abbey Inn.
- 3rd Wednesday - Chudleigh area caving, followed by social meet at the The Palk Arms in Hennock
- 4th Wednesday - Local Caving Trip within Devon or the surrounding area, followed by social meet at a nearby pub
- 5th Wednesday (If there is one) - DevonSS on Tour, event is decided on a month by month basis
Note: Its always worth letting us know you are coming, so you can be sure someone will be there to meet you.
One weekend a month the Society usually has a caving weekend in one of the main caving regions (Somerset / South Wales / Derbyshire / Yorkshire). Members usually travel (share transport) to the area on a Friday evening, stay in a Caving Club hut, and cave on Saturday and Sunday.
The Society usually undertakes a foreign expedition/trip each year, recent years have seen us caving in Slovenia, Ireland, Vercors (France), Jura (France) and Chartreuse (France) mainly concentrating on the Dent de Crolles system of caves. We have also run extended trips to UK caving regions when no foreign trip has happened.
The club focus on making the majority of our trips suitable for both the novice with limited experience and the very experienced caver, adapting the trip to the ability of those attending.
One of the main aims is that our trips are enjoyable and all members are safe. If you are interested in caving and would like to get involved in the activities of the club, then please contact the Secretary via email firstname.lastname@example.org more information can also be found within this web site.